The Arizona Diabetes Virtual Center of Excellence (ADVICE) is a comprehensive program for diabetes prevention, assessment, and management utilizing the Arizona Telemedicine Program Network.
The concept of establishing a virtual center for excellence in diabetes care utilizing the varied healthcare resources connected to the Arizona Telemedicine Program network originated in a strategic planning retreat of the ATP Executive Committee in the summer of 2003.
Current Active Programs
As an ongoing program, ADVICE currently receives support from the Office of Health Systems Development of the Arizona Department of Health Services - Interagency Service Agreement Contract No: HS761047.
Community Health Center Tele-Diabetes Services
- Continue and expand teleophthalmology reading services at St Joseph’s Regional Eye Center.
- Train community health center staff on screening protocols.
- Provide ophthalmology reads/reports for the CHCs.
- Assist with coordination of care to address eye problems identified.
- Explore and test feasibility of Telepodiatry and Telewound Manageement as new diabetes services with CHCs (North Country, Canyonlands, United Community Health Center) and a Critical Access Hospital (SouthEast Arizona Medical Center/Douglas).
Mobile Health Program
- Using the Mobile Health Program model approach to meet the objectives of this pilot project, the contractor shall conduct the following activities:
- Build upon existing quality improvement strategies and systems with the Diabetes Education Programs of the PCP contractors utilizing the Mobile Health Program model to support gaps identified by the PCP contractors to achieve a comprehensive system change;
- Use the Mobile Health Program as a screening strategy together with prevention and health education with information provided by CHA/ promotora for clients during regular visits to identified sites;
- Interface with the University Physicians Healthcare. Inc/UA COM Department of Ophthalmology to obtain readings of the retinal image on diabetic patients using the non-mydriatic camera.
- Utilize the General Patient Exam Camera (GPEC) to offer podiatry exams for selected clients referred by PCP contractors.
Emphasize to patient, their active and central role in managing his/her illness;
Through 500 eye and podiatry specialty screening services, the MHP will assist PCP contractors in meeting the goals of embedding evidence-based guidelines into daily clinical practice;
- Interface with PCP contractor in their provision of diabetes care activities that ensure continuity of care through planned group visits;
- Work with PCP contractors to encourage regular follow-up of patients identified for specialty care using PCP contractors referral infrastructure; and
- Produce results of eye and foot care with clinically useful and timely information to the PCP contractors.
Carondelet Health Net (CHN) Community Diabetes Survival Class
Goal 1: Expand the TeleDiabetesCommunity Survival Classes and transmit monthly to the following rural locations:
- Amado through the Rural Mobile Health Clinic (English & Spanish)
- Canyonlands and North Country Community Health Centers
(English, Navajo & Spanish)
- Southern Arizona Medical Center in Douglas, AZ (English & Spanish)
Goal 2: Telenutrition Counseling
- Telenutrition Counseling for people with diabetes and prediabetes performed by a bilingual registered dietitian/certified diabetes educator. The televisit consists of an initial assessment with one to two follow up visits completed within three months.
- The goal for the coming year will be to expand telenutrition consultations to the proposed rural locations identified above for the uninsured. The biweekly Telenutrition Clinic will be operated out of the Carondelet Health Network Telemedicine room. This clinic will be scheduled for 4-6 hours/week as a clinic and will be increased based on the need.
Arizona Telemedicine Program
Canyonlands Community Health Center
Carondelet Health Network
North Country Community Health Center
St. Elizabeth of Hungary Clinic - Tucson
United Community Health Center
University of Arizona Department of Family & Community Medicine Mobile Health Program
Community of Amado
Chiricahua Community Health Center – Douglas
Marana Health Care
El Rio Health Care